Thursday, January 22, 2009

Whatever is pure...

More thoughts on our thought life (Phil. 4:8)
The definition of pure includes the following: not mixed with any other substance or material; without extraneous and unnecessary elements; free of any contamination; wholesome, untainted by immorality; perfectly in tune and with a clear tone.
Synonyms include: uncontaminated, undiluted, unalloyed, sterling, solid, refined, clarified, clear, flawless, perfect, genuine, clean, sparkling, wholesome, natural, healthy, uninfected, virtuous, moral, ethical, good, righteous, honorable, reputable, exemplary, irreproachable, chaste, decent, worthy, noble, blameless, guiltless, guileless, spotless, uncorrupted, undefiled.
For some reason, "guileless" caught my attention. "Guile" is sly or cunning intelligence and it makes me uncomfortable to think about the times I've used God-given intelligence in a sly or deceitful way - to get out of something, to make myself look better than I really am. Yuck. I am sick of that game. I'm trying to keep my feet firmly planted on a path to a completely authentic life - and that has everything to do with the things I fill my mind with. I want my mind to be pure - perfectly in tune, clean, genuine and good.
Think about such things...

1 comment:

Alissa Burns said...

I have been studying this for over a year...this is something I battle greatly and strive for. I want to have a pure heart in everything I do.