Saturday, January 3, 2009

It will not return empty...

"As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower
and bread for the eater,

so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."
Isaiah 55:10-11
----
I'm finding this to be true of our Scripture memory project. God has already used the Words He planted in my heart to accomplish some much-needed change. When anxiety rises up (and lately it seems to constantly bubble just beneath the surface of my life!), I repeat my passage (usually with hand gestures!) and it brings peace.
I've also pondered definitions of key words in the passage and gained needed insight. I highly recommend it! For example, gentleness is a particular theme that has intrigued me. Not only does it mean kind, mild, tender in temperament or behavior, but the verb means to calm or pacify, to make docile by gentle handling. Hmmm.
Also, guard (as in the peace of God will "guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus") not only means to watch over to keep safe, but to watch over to control entry and exit. I don't know about you, but I'd like for the peace of God to determine what enters and exits my heart and mind!
I hope you're reaping the benefits of hiding God's Word in your heart!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has definately worked some things as I reflect on the verse I am meditating on. Someone has been very tender and kind to me without even knowing what I am praying or why,and it has thrown me off. I so want to be a godly woman. Fun Lowe

Leslie Young said...

I LOVE it! Funny how it 'throws us off' when God is so good and faithful to His own word!!! I'm so happy! Any other testimonies? Don't be shy! Leave a comment!

God's Girl said...

Every year at our women's retreat we receive a word. My word this year was meditate. How neat that we can all share in this by meditating on His Word. I know He has wonderful things in store for us!