Friday, February 15, 2013

Words...

I had a hard time deciding which verse I wanted to memorize this go 'round. I have been highlighting and saving several that I've run across over the past few weeks, but nothing had that "just-this-minute" quality until I ran across this one:


"May the words of my mouth 
and the meditation of my heart 
be pleasing to you, O Lord, 
my rock and my redeemer."
Psalm 19:14 NLT

Words. 
Of my mouth. 
Oh, these are many, my friends. 
Many. 

I've always been a talker. My earliest report cards always contained statements like this: "Leslie is a very good student. She is talkative, however." However.

And I've always been quick to speak -- too quick, at times. I don't know why some of us are just more naturally inclined to wordiness, but a burning desire to communicate has driven my career choice (journalism); my ministry bent (teaching); and has been the source of good (encouragement, occasional flashes of eloquence) and bad (hasty words, harsh words spoken too quickly, never-to-be-retrieved). 

So, yes, pleasing God in this area is definitely a matter of prayer -- but not only the words of my mouth, but the meditation of my heart. I'm a stewer. A re-player of conversations. A bundle of "what-ifs" and "shoulda-coulda-wouldas." So often, the late night meditations of my heart are consumed with these, or other worries, rather than, say for example, "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, anything excellent or praiseworthy..." (Phil. 4:8) 
Think on these things. (I'll try.)

The New Living Translation asks that these be "pleasing to you, O Lord..." Several other translations say "acceptable."  I think the connotation is that the words of our mouths and the meditation of our hearts are offerings placed before God. The prayer is that they would be acceptable, pleasing...a fragrant offering. Make it so, Lord!

So...what are you memorizing?


No comments: