Thursday, April 9, 2009

I will not be shaken...

As I was contemplating my memory verses (I'm working on Psalm 62:5-6 the first part of April, then 7-8 the last part - see below), I was intrigued by the word "shaken."
"He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will not be shaken."
Shaken suggests to be moved roughly, to and fro; often the picture is of someone being shaken in anger, or in attempt to get them to wake up. But looking further in the definition is the key to this verse, I think: to weaken or impair confidence in, especially by shocking or disturbing; to cause a change of mood or attitude by shocking or disturbing.
When God ALONE is our rock, our fortress, our salvation, we won't be easily shaken - shocked, disturbed, blown about by circumstances or people into a weakened state of belief. (Interestingly, as I've worked on repeating this verse, I keep forgetting the word "alone" in verse 7. Hmmm. This could explain my tendency to be shaken!)
One more quick "word study" note: while fortress can suggest a walled, fortified city, the word used in many places in the Psalms describes any place of hiding or refuge. That reminded me of Psalm 91:1 -
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."
So, anyone out there working on Scripture memorization?
Click the comment button and share!

No comments: