Sunday, March 1, 2009

To love...


"To love him with all your heart,
with all your understanding
and with all your strength,
and to love your neighbor as yourself
is more important than all burnt offerings
and sacrifices."

Mark 12:33

I've chosen this verse to memorize for the first two weeks of March. I was drawn to Scripture about love for this month, and looked at a lot of them before settling on this one (I love www.biblegateway.com for some key word look-ups!) This particular verse struck me because of the reference to burnt offerings and sacrifices. It reminded me of another verse I've been pondering these days, Galatians 5:6 (from The Message):

"For in Christ, neither our most conscientious religion
nor disregard of religion amounts to anything.
What matters is something far more interior:
faith expressed in love."


Many times in my spiritual journey, I think I've substituted activity, religion, "burnt offerings and sacrifices" for love - heartfelt, deep, all-in love. That's how I want to express my faith - in love!

Soften this old, distracted, anxious heart, Lord.
Fill me with Your love!


If you're interested in joining in Scripture memory, click on the comment button and let me know what you're learning! (And if you haven't checked out Beth Moore's blog lately, click on the link at right - LPM Blog - there are around 2000 women memorizing all kinds of Scripture in 2009!)

No comments: