Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Delight...

It's September...and it actually feels like fall (my favorite season!). As I was thinking about a memory verse for the first two weeks of September, I kept coming back to Psalm 37:3-4. God kept bringing it before me, in a variety of ways, and last night it was the passage chosen for the sermon at the back-to-school rally I chaperoned. (Okay, I get it! You don't have to hit me over the head - well, sometimes He does.)
So here it is:


Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:3-4

I'm doing my memory work in the New International Version, but I loved a couple of other translations of these verses. For example, the English Standard Version says, "dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness." Befriend faithfulness. Hmmm.

And the New King James Version says "dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness." Consume it, take it in, savor it.

And here's the passage in the Amplified Bible:

"Trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) in the Lord and do good; so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart."

I plan to focus on delighting in the Lord in the coming days. I want to take my greatest pleasure in Him - His creation, His Word, His children -- all that He is, not just what He does for me.

Delight yourself in the Lord...

3 comments:

Bec said...

Mrs. Leslie, what a great passage to memorize! :) It's so crazy- this scripture has REALLY been changing my life here lately. ;) God has been showing me through this that HE ALONE needs to be the ONLY desire of my heart. If I am delighting in Him, then I will desire Him more. And what better of a gift for Him to give me than HIM!?!!!

So I am so excited that this is your scripture memorization for the first part of this month. EVERY DAY for the past 3-ish weeks I have been waking up and praying, "Lord, help me to desire you MORE and You ALONE." He is good.

I love you.

Leslie Young said...

I know what you mean, Bec. When I was younger and less mature (you know, last week!) I used to think it was a simple formula for getting what I want - delight in the Lord and He'll give you the desires of your heart.

Of course, I'm learning that delighting in HIM changes the desires of my heart - aligning them with His, which then make my desires His desires, and then He delights to fulfill them! And I know He desires good things for His children!

Thanks for the encouragement!

I love you!

Nora said...

This was the key verse to this weekend's Beth Moore event and I have been memorizing it all week. It was such a great revelation to me on the "desires of our heart" and the "heart of our desires". It's amazing how God works....

Oh, I am very much enjoying Jess, she is such a treasure!