Thursday, July 30, 2009

What I learned at camp...

...I learned 7th and 8th grade girls are smart...and curious.

One of my favorite moments (this, in a week jam-packed with fun, with spiritual challenge and insight, with intense community and sweet fellowship) came in the middle of teaching 22 7th and 8th grade girls about the Beatitudes. The girls were focused, engaged, writing down Scripture references, participating in discussion.

Then a girl raised her hand, looked me straight in the eyes and asked in a clear voice without a hint of self-consciousness:

"How do you hunger and thirst for righteousness?"


Wow. How, indeed?

I told her she was on the right track because she was asking the right questions. I told her to ask God to give her an appetite for righteousness. I told her to feed her heart and mind with Scripture, to spend time in prayer.

I think I gave an acceptable answer, but the truth is, I just felt like bursting into tears. I was overwhelmed with emotion that a young girl really wanted the answer to that question. I also felt completely convicted and utterly inadequate.

Do I hunger and thirst for righteousness? Do I really?

Almost two weeks later, I still see that little girl's face and I'm still wrestling with lessons learned from girls with seeking hearts.

1 comment:

Shellie Tomlinson said...

I'm spurred on by your sweet camper, too, Leslie. Thanks for posting!